Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Dutch Shop in Smithfield


This photo was taken 3 years ago when it still took us a full day to go there and back by public transport now it is a mere 20 minute drive.
Saturday we went to the Dutch shop ' t Winkeltje in Smithfield to stock up on some much needed essentials.
And what would those essentials be:

Drop (liquorice), Haagsche Hopjes (candy), Curry saus (spicy ketchup) , Mayonnaise (funnily enough mayonnaise even though it has the same name everywhere it does taste differently around the world, where we've been anyway, and we have not found a nice Australian equivalent yet. We the Dutch, which I still am for the time being, like it with our chips/fries instead of ketchup (Pulp Fiction excerpt) and Caroline does too now) , Borrelnootjes (savoury flavoured coated peanuts), Beschuit (Dutch crisp bakes), Rookworst (smoked sausage) , Kruidnoten (a seasonal type of spiced shortbread similar in taste to speculaas used as a treat for kids during the Dutch equivalent of Santa Claus) and of course Frikandellen (skinless sausages). And Shoarma kruiden (kebab spices; for some reason kebab just doesn't taste the same outside Holland, I found). All things I might not eat very often but every once in a while it is nice to have some. Except for frikandellen they are just a MUST HAVE!!! Here are some prepared by our Swedish Chef earlier.

These were made back in the UK where they are very hard to come by, the only place were I had them was in a Dutch pub called 'De Hems' in London's Chinatown where they would cost an arm and a leg. Fortunately for me Caroline was studying Dutch at the time at the Dutch Language School in Oxford and her teacher Karin knew I was fond of Frikandellen. At times I thought Caroline would in her lessons only talk about me? Everyone in her class seemed to know me better than I know myself. Anyway so did Karin and when her brother was coming to Oxford and she had organised a Koninginnedag party for all her students and their partners she asked her brother if he could bring some with him just for me. And they were the best I had for a long time. Thanks again Karin .

No comments:

ShareThis