Sunday, March 16, 2008

Melbourne

A few weeks ago Caroline said she had to go to Melbourne for work, fly on Thursday and have a few meetings on Friday. And after having given it some thought I said well why don't I meet you there?
I did, Caroline dropped me off at the airport at 07:15 and went off to work. I was in Melbourne at 10:00. Caroline would not fly out of Sydney until 17:45 so I had a whole day to kill in Melbourne on my own. A bit strange doing so without Caroline and I did feel a bit guilty I was having fun while she was still at work. I hadn't given it much thought as to what to do although I did read up on Melbourne's attractions and did have some places I would like to see but I didn't make any priorities. As I wandered around in the heat, 40C, I came across the Melbourne Aquarium it would prove to be a pleasant break from the heat.


Sea Dragon, Moreton Bay Bugs, Angler Fish and a Sea Turtle

The Moon Jellyfish were quite surreal especially under the black light, they looked like alien life forms.

I also liked holding a starfish strangely enough, but only after I saw a 4-year old holding it.

Another highlight at the Aquarium was seeing divers feed the stingrays, sharks, turtles and fish.

After a few hours of fun at the Aquarium it was time to move on and I came across the Young and Jackson Hotel across from Flinders Station another excuse to escape the heat.
The Young and Jackson is also known for a famous nude painting named Chloe by Jules Joseph Lefebvre.

After a refreshing pint or two with some people (originally from Rugby, UK) who were in Melbourne to see the Grand Prix it was time to head off again. After heading in no specific direction I found myself in Chinatown.

By that time it was also time to find the hotel which was located in Toorak. On the map I had it didn't appear to be that far (I learned now it is approximately 6 Km from the CBD)... The heat didn't make it any easier to walk but I made it in time, just 30 minutes before Caroline arrived.
When Caroline came we went out for dinner at a local Thai restaurant. The food was really good but all the starters and mains had some really hot chillies in it. We decided not to take their desert just in case it had more chilli in it.
The following morning Caroline had to leave early again to go to her business meetings, but before she had to go, we shared breakfast together. After checking out of the hotel I wandered around Melbourne once more, however this time I took the train to the CBD. It was going to be another killer day with temperatures in the 40s not ideal for wandering around outside so I went to the National Gallery of Victoria, before my shuttle bus would pick me up from Southern Cross Station. Coincidence will have it that the painter who painted Chloe in the Young and Jackson had a painting La Cigale featured on a poster promoting the National Gallery of Victoria's, 19th Century Gallery. In the National Gallery of Victoria I also came across another one of Ron Mueck's work Two Women Grim. Caroline and I have seen Pregnant Woman together in Canberra before and he makes life-like statues of all sizes from small to really big with a lot of attention to detail.



It was funny Caroline and I were both flying out at 17:45 but Caroline flew from Melbourne Airport and I flew from

Avalon (more of a shed then an airport in the middle of a dry wasteland) and we arrived in Sydney around the same time.

No comments:

ShareThis